Posts filed under ‘XP’
I decided to try out the eboostr 3.0 beta to see if it can speed up my mom’s computer (an ancient eMachine T1221 with a Celeron 1.3 Ghz). Normally, adding more memory is best, but the machine is maxed out at 512Mb. I figured that adding a disk cache to an usb stick may be able to add additional performance. Apparently, I was wrong.
The machine is setup to use a 2Gb stick of Cruzer Micro (readyboost ready). HDtach returned about 27 Mb/s read speed with an access time of 0.6ms. The machine has an USB 2.0 card, so it should be fast enough.
I ran several test like startup, shutdown, opening different applications, opening web pages. All of the test were no faster than before eboostr. I examined the cache and noted that the files being opened are in the cache, it’s just that they didn’t return quickly enough. If it worked, it should be noticeable.
I decided to do some investigating and ran the eboostr speed test. It came back with a ratio of only speed ratio of 1.13 and 100% cache hit. A 13% speed bump is probably too slow to make a difference and this is with a reasonably fast stick. I installed eboostr and used memory as a cache, but the ratio only went up to 1.59. This is a lot better, but surprisingly low for a memory cache. Keep in mind that while it’s faster to find a file on the USB drive, the cpu cost for getting it is higher. HDtach indicated that it only use 5% CPU to read from the IDE drive and 19% CPU to read from the USB drive.
I also tried eboostr on an AMD 2600+ desktop with 2Gb of memory and allocated 1Gb of memory to cache. There was no noticable speed difference before and after eboostr. The speed test indicated that the speed ratio is only 1.89, which is better than the eMachine, but not good enough in my opinion.
eboostr did not work for the two older machines that we tried it on.